Friday, May 23, 2014

Bird Watching

Today's weather was quite interesting.  It started with rain, the sun broke through for a couple of hours, I began this post during a thunderstorm, and now it is just raining lightly.

I decided to take advantage of that break in the rain to get in some exercise.  I tried a different route today, daring myself to be adventurous, and believing I knew how strenuous of a trek I would encounter.  Throw Type I diabetes into the mix, and any exercise at all becomes more challenging. I followed my normal routine of testing my glucose levels and packing up my backpack with a snack and cell phone.  "G" was not at camp, and I wanted to feel independent, so off I went into the wild blue yonder.

The walk was breathtakingly beautiful.  I climbed up to the highest point of the park and was able to see far up and down the Hudson River due to the clear skies.




I met up with a couple of bird watchers and we exchanged small talk about birding.  I was in awe at how they identified so many birds just by their songs, like Barn Swallows and Thrushes.  I was able to narrow down one or two, but there was one that sounded just like a cricket, except it only "chirruped" once instead of twice. The birding couple didn't recognize it either. I have seen a Baltimore Oriole, while here, that literally took my breath away. Birds are so entertaining to the  visual and auditory senses.  Have I mentioned that before?????

Once our pleasant chat ended, they headed east, while I ventured westward.  About 20 minutes into my walk, my blood sugar began to drop, so I suspended my insulin pump, had my snack and continued walking, but more slowly.  I ended up walking another half-mile before reaching the campground and I felt my level dropping lower and lower.  I had thought about stopping, but that wouldn't have prevented my blood sugar from dropping.  I made it, but just barely.  Next walk will find me hauling a heavier backpack loaded with snacks and a juice.  My conundrum....eating causes me to gain weight - exercise results in my needing to eat.  Hummm. As Kermit The Frog sang, "It ain't easy being  green."

Lucy update:  Today, she was out for two hours this morning and about 5 hours tonight.  She has made her favorite spots known; two of them being the dashboard and back window sill.

Deep thought for the day:  Don't be afraid to take risks or push yourself.  Just always be prepared!

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon. I'm about to drive down to the Croton River Walk for my "first" walk of the season....after I pickup lunch at Giovanni's. Your thought for the day is true and appropriate; I'm surprised you didn't have the goodies in your pack....for either event.
    FYI, I'm posting this comment on my bedroom computer, I'm using Chrome, and posting works; The computer, however, is running on Windows 7, not 8 like my laptop. Once I receive your email, I click on the topic of the day (link) which brings me to the blogspot.com site. Deep thought for the day: "Whatever....."
    Chas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have stopped by here. I walked this morning too. Would have loved the company.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.