Saturday, May 24, 2014

Simple things

Today was spent witnessing an array of interesting weather.  We had a repeat of yesterday, with a mixture of sun, clouds, thunder, and torrential rain.  I decided that I needed to come up with a reason to be happy about all the wet weather we are having and, boy, was I able to come up with a good one: "G" and I continue to get along and laugh often, despite being inside the RV so much. You only really know, and get closer to someone, when things aren't going perfectly.

During my daily walk, I came upon several groups of "real" campers - those in tents. Since is is Memorial Day Weekend, more people have arrived at the campground. About 4 out of the 12 cabins are occupied and 4-5 tent sites are bursting with tents, grills, tables, cars, fishing gear and a bunch of excitedly happy young families.  It made me think of my son and grandchildren who recently camped out in tents in North Carolina. I guess being young helps. I think I'm too old to be the "roughing" it type anymore.

Back in 1972, I spent the summer on the west coast and camped in Oregon and Northern California.  Part of the time was tent-camping, but the majority was spent camping out of a pop-up trailer. Those are memories that have made lasting impressions upon me, and of which I am so grateful to have experienced.  I'm hoping for the same with my son, and his family.

While torrential rain fell during dinner tonight, forcing us to eat inside, I kept thinking about the people in the tents.  I was hoping that they were having fun, laughing and making the best off their damp situation.  Guiltily, I enjoyed the warmth from the heat I was treated to when "G" turned on the furnace to take the chill out of the RV.  Oh, I'm so spoiled.

Cute little driftwood craft store.  Closed for awhile.

Interesting "face" staring out at me during my walk.
Deep thought for the day:  Sometimes, the simplest things make the biggest, and longest lasting impressions.  May you have many simple pleasures.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this entry.