Sunday, December 28, 2014

From "Peachy-Keen" to " Rotten Tomato"

Sunday, December 28th turned out to be the best weather-day of our trip. Temperatures reached 81° and the sun was shining down from blue skies. One couldn't ask for a more beautiful day.

Unfortunately, we were unable to enjoy any of it, because at 3 AM, I suddenly and fiercely, came down with the flu. I felt as if I were simultaneously stuck in a freezer and hit by a Mac truck. The body aches were unbearable, even my eyeglasses hurt my nose and ears. Light, of any kind was painful, and I could not stop shivering for hours. I had those cartoon-type teeth chattering chills.

We were scheduled to spend another day here, but in another site, because the place is packed and there is a big rally just starting. So, timing became a priority. I needed medical assistance and the rig needed to be moved. Poor "G" had the job of juggling all the balls alone. 

Luckily, we found a terrific urgent care facility, ERgent Med 1 and was treated by a very competent Physicisn's Assistant and nurse. I really lucked out, because having Type 1 Diabetes and receiving treatment in "foreign territory" can be tricky. I can't praise this place enough and would highly recommend it to anyone if they find themselves in this area and not feeling well. I was diagnosed with the flu and dehydration and sent home after two bags of IV fluids.

"G" proved to be quite the caretaker, by searching for a pharmacy that had Tamiflu, preparing me the best Lipton Noodle Soup (with extra noodles), preparing dinner and hot teas, sanitizing and changing out the sheets. I slept through most of all he did.

Today, it feels as though a week has passed instead of just one day. I awoke to no sun, all clouds and cooler temps, but feeling more like myself. "G" decided we both needed a day to recoup before completing the journey into Florida, so he booked us another night her, but, guess what?  Yup, we have to relocate again. "G" thinks this place may have contacted the girls at Croton Point Park Office and were told to keep moving us from site to site. Lol

As pretty as this place is, and even though I would stay here again, I don't think my personal rating will be a 5+due to a couple of reasons. We are located just of I-95 and you can hear the constant hum of traffic, especially at night. Now that we are in an interior site, I feel a bit claustrophobic. I miss my big messy trees at Croton Point Park where you can enjoy the shade and nature. Here, you can hear conversations from neighboring RVs as if they were sitting in the room with you, and Ihaven't seen a bird or squirrel yet. I'm beginning to think I may prefer National, State and County parks. We shall see.

Tomorrow's destination will remain TBD for now. We may head to either Bay Lakes Resort in Polk City, or a campground in the Daytona Area. We won't plan this time, as much as just go with the flow.

Deep thought for the day: Just like in baseball, when you get up to bat, you get a chance to hit a single, double, triple or home run. You can also pop out or strike out. If you end up doing the latter, you will usually have another chance to get on base in the next rotation. Living an RV life, if you don't make it to your next destination as planned, you just need to wait for the next opportunity to come around. I'm always rooting for a homer, but will deal with strike outs if necessary!  vc







2 comments:

  1. Boy, one saga after another. Sure, they're adventures, but now what we had in mind, right? FYI: In the Daytona area (Port Orange), I'm staying at http://www.novacamp.com/index.html on the way down and http://www.carefreervresorts.com/rv-parks/florida/daytona-beach/ on the way back home. They are very close to one another but I wanted to try something different on the way back. They're also less than 2 miles from friends Patsy & Mya's Pizza place (Luigi's) on Clyde Morris Blvd. There is also http://koa.com/campgrounds/daytona-beach/ in the area I haven't researched. Let me know if you want the link to Florida's State Parks/rates. Get well so you can party-hardy on New Year's Eve. LOL. My guess (and I'd put money on it) is you'll both be fast asleep but won't be able to because of your noisy neighbors. LOL. ~~Chas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at both of those campgrounds and will probably choose one. It looks to be the ideal spot to hop to until we can land - long-term at Elite. Looking forward to putting our outdoor carpet down!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.