Wednesday, September 30, 2015

La Veta, CO - Last Stop in Colorado

I awoke this morning, at 6:15 am after a fitful night, to grey skies and cool temperatures. It seemed that the view outside my window mimicked the way my heart felt. Although excited to be getting back on the road to new adventures, I knew the three little faces I am leaving behind will change dramatically before I set eyes upon them again - in person. 

Last night we had our "Last Supper" and bath time. It was a fun-filled night with Chick-Fil-A for dinner, time in the playhouse there, balloon creations, frozen yogurt from Smart Cow and then home-sweet-home. I held it together the whole time, even up to the end, when kissing and hugging goodbye, but once out of sight, the tears fell. 

Although sad, I am so happy and blessed to have my #1 by my side, heading down the road for sights unknown and unseen. Any campground we stay at after this one will be an improvement. The isolation was really starting to get to both of us. I felt like a distant cousin at a family reunion...out of place and not knowing who to sit with. However, the view from our windshield for the last two weeks made up for the negatives. 

Our goal for today was to find a campground close to our next stop, The Great Sand Dunes National Park. It was a necessary stop, on my part, since we hacked off a visit to The Grand Canyon and a surprise visit to friend, Bill, in Las Vegas, from our original itinerary. Those will need to be fulfilled next trip out west. 

Most of today was traversed upon smooth roads that offered vistas of wide expanses of land spotted with scrub brush, pines and distant mountain peaks. We located a campground that had availability and it turned out to be the highest rated RV park in the vicinity -  Circle The Wagons RV Park in La Veta, CO.

This place turned out to be a sweet little campground with friendly staff, wide and level gravel sites, a stream running right behind our rig, some shade trees, and fortunately for us, a couple of lovely people on an adjacent site, Bill and Dolores who hail from the great state of Texas. Finally, we have come across fellow RVers with whom to swap stories. Before we were even fully settled in, we received some sage advice about one of our next stops, Amarillo, TX. Actually, not advice, but a comment that will alter our plans, significantly. The comment was, "Amarillo is very close to Kansas. Have you driven through Kansas?" That did it for us. I don't think I want to stay in a windy, dusty, and desolate location. Tonight, back to the map to find a better location to put down our jacks for a few days of much needed R & R.

Tomorrow will be a visit to our first-ever National Park. I'm so excited to get my National Park book and my very first sticker!!!!! I just love stickers.









A few shots from the ride today.

Overcast skies prevented spectacular mountain views.

Deep thought for the day:  Whenever you miss me, look up at the night sky. If you see a full moon, howl, and know that I will be howling with you. If you see a star, I'm looking at the very same one...make a wish...When you look up in the daytime, the sun that warms you, warms me as well. Although miles apart, we are surprisingly just a thought away. ~ vc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this entry.