Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Day 6 and 7 - We Made it to Colorful Colorado!


Are we there yet? Lucy has been such a good traveller, but yesterday, she gave me this look and all I could imagine her saying, is "Is this almost over?" And I was happy to tell her that we would be lowering our jacks this night and remain put for two weeks. 


I think Lucy enjoys Walmart parking lots more than we do. She always seems to be curiously entertained.

We thought that once we were off of I-70 we would see a drastic change of scenery, but as the photos below prove, we were wrong.




The last 60 or so miles of Kansas roads looked the same as those 200 miles previous. The photo above depicts Colorado I-70 West. Eerily, it felt a lot like Kansas.  

The photo below shows what felt to be the longest portion of the trip so far. It felt like a scene right out of a Twilight Zone episode. No signs of life, except a cow here and there, for almost the entire section of road. We were on Highway 86 for only 60 miles, but it was mostly an uphill climb and although Allie did her best to keep her momentum, pulling 29,240 pounds was a daunting task.
The longest and straightest roads ever....These are two shots of Highway 86.


The photo here shows the first town we hit on we hit Highway 86. We had driven about 45 miles before reaching the first signs of civilization - Kiowa, CO. I caught a pic of a Sinclair Gas Station and stores along Old Main Street. 

Around 4 pm, we were settled into Jellystone Park Campground. I chose this pricier park because it it is geared towards children and our three little granddaughters will be spending a lot of time here. Besides, I grew up watching Yogi and Boo Boo, so a reminder of my past will conjure up some fond memories.

On Wednesday, two days ahead of schedule. I will get to hug and squeeze those three little monkeys. I can't wait to see Nina and Lola, and get to really know and bond with little Emma. The reason for this journey is finally at hand. 


The view outside our windshield. Surreal. They haven't seen rain here in a long time and you can see the dry, packed, dusty roadways that run throughout the park. I can almost imagine myself seated atop a huge stallion getting ready to ride the range. I need to get me some cowboy boots!

The coming days will be filled with memory-making, so I doubt there will be time for many entries. However, I'll be taking notes and photos to permanently document the adventure in a future blog or two.

Deep thought for the day: The word "Love," falls so easily off your tongue. It's as if you exhale the word. I love exhaling. ~ vc







1 comment:

  1. Taaa-daaaa. The end of the road and time to settle in. You accomplished Part I of the adventure, 2 weeks for Part II and may you continue them for as high as you are able to count.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.