Thursday, September 18, 2014

iPad "Cold Case" Closed

I really need to contact Apple in order to clear my name as a hysterical, quick-to-blame, rush-to-judgment personality, as well as give them a piece of my mind. Back on August 26th, I was unable to locate my iPad, so I did what every person who owns an iPad and iPhone would do, I utilized the fabulous, "Find My iPad" app. 



When I activated it, I heard no audible sounds, which would indicate its location within, or outside of the RV, so after thoughtful consideration and contemplation (five minutes), I notified the "authorities." I gave all the data and evidence to prove the "missing state" of my iPad. 


My deposition was provided to the County Police, photos of where the Find My iPad App said it was, were forwarded to the responding officer, and my hopes of an all-out search were set in high gear.



Photo of App indicating pad in Malletts Bay, VT


One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight days pass and no word from the County or Vermont Police. On the ninth day, as we were preparing to pack up and batten down the hatch, I FOUND the "stolen" iPad wedged between my wine rack and the wall. I don't remember putting it there, but I could have, or perhaps Miss Lucy, unintentionally, may have swiped it off the counter, but there it was - for all eyes to see. 




My first reaction was, "OMG, I reported it stolen! The Vermont State Police, mounted on horses, with guns drawn, were actively on an iPad hunt, seeking the thief." Second thought, "I should call the County to report it as "located" so the Vermont Mounted Police could close the case and get on to more pressing crime and give the horses some rest."  Third thought, "OMG! I am going to look like such a ding-bat when I call to report it as found." Fourth thought, "Damn that Find My iPad App!" It was its fault I was in this predicament.




So, to officially set the record straight, insurance claim was dropped and I was happy to know that a fellow camper did NOT rip me off. I insist on being a trusting person and refuse to believe that someone would destroy my trust. I am also happy to know that I was not careless with such a pricey item.




Hooray for mankind (the honest ones) and hooray for me, for being responsible (this time), and boo to the Apple app! 






Deep thought for the day:  All's well that ends well.






2 comments:

  1. Interesting that I have to go on Internet Explorer to post this comment. It is, however, worth the three extra mouse clicks to do do so. I cannot believe the outcome of that saga. I read it with mouth agape and began wondering how that skinny piece of equipment got wedged between the items mentioned. I think George put it there to get more attention from you. He's the type, you know. Bottom line of course is, it's yours once again. Can't wait to hear why the Find app. showed it in VT. I can't even begin to explain that one. Good luck speaking to a human at Apple. Keep me informed.
    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried using Chrome? That may work. I know Safari does.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.