Sunday, June 22, 2014

Warranty work at Wilkins

Today, "G" and I drove up to Wilkins RV, in Bath, NY.  If you've never visited Bath, don't worry.  You're not missing much. There is not much to do or see, other than a few cheap motel chains and a couple of fast food restaurants. This trip, we actually found the "hot" spot in town. It's the soft serve ice cream stand just down the road-a-piece from the RV dealership.

We were afforded the most beautiful day to drive up this scenic area of rolling, green mountains, lush valleys and the occasional river meandering alongside our route. Unfortunately, every once in a while, I noticed dead animals along side of the road.  I always turn my face away, because I can't bear to look at the poor things just lying there. "G" always reassures me that they have met their end due to old age.  It seems that they happen to die along the road after a long and happy life.  It makes me feel better knowing that.  I turn my face back to the road and life is beautiful again.

Along the way, we happened upon an accident that had occurred just seconds before cresting a slight incline. Although two vehicles were involved, only one was visible on the road, and facing in the wrong direction. The other car, we discovered, had veered off and down an embankment. Traffic came to a halt due to the wreckage strewn across the road. I had my handy-dandy first aid kit, so I got out to see if we could be of any help. I went up to the car and inside was an older woman, I'd guess to be about 80, cut and bleeding behind the wheel. I asked her what her name was, and she told me, "Helen," and she proceeded to ask me what happened.  She couldn't comprehend the fact that she was in an accident. Apparently, she was in shock. I told her my name and said I was pleased to meet her, and that everything was going to be fine.  She asked me a few more times what had happened before a paramedic and an EMT showed up. I gratefully turned over my place beside her window to the experts who could be of more help than me. I can offer kindness, but not much else in an emergency.

With just a couple of more non-emergency stops, we made it to the exit of Route 17 where I was allowed to take the wheel. I drove a whopping two miles to the dealership and except for a a tiny episode of not being able to find the break, it went well. I discovered that "G" is not the best person to teach me how to drive the RV. "Mr. Patience" is anything, but patient, while I am behind the wheel.  We will both need lessons.  Me for driving and him for holding his tongue while I learn! A future entry will reveal the quickest learner!

The rig is locked up, the shades are drawn, the couch is comfy, and we are both ready for a good night's  rest.

Deep thought for the day:  Always offer help to someone when they're down. You never know when you may need a kind word from a stranger.  What goes around, comes around.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this entry.