Monday, June 1, 2015

My top 10 +1 Hacks for Lving in an RV (with a cat)

I can't claim that all of these ideas were mine, however, many are the result of my own creative resourcefulness. Some came from other full-timers and a few were found on Pinterest. If you have never been on Pinterest, be forewarned that you may become addicted to searching for the next best "idea," "inspiration," or "thingy" to make you say, "yum," "hum" or "aah." 

Hack #1:  Lucy's favorite places: Her food is located on a place mat on the dashboard. This forces her to explore the world outside, especially when we change locations. It is normally an under-used area and it keeps us from tripping over her food bowls. Her canned and dry food are stored in the "basement," and restocked in the kitchen closet as needed.

Her "le Toilette" is located under the dash on the driver's side. With the seat turned to face the living quarters, it is nicely hidden from sight, yet easy for her to access.

Her electric water fountain is plugged in under the dash on the passenger side, right next to the "doggy window" and my computer. It doesn't leave me much foot room while stationary, but I've adjusted.  That leads us into Hack #2.

Hack #2:  My computer station.
I love having this set-up in the motor home. I am a die hard CPUser who hasn't been able to adjust to a laptop keyboard. Hey, I'm an old dog, so no new tricks for me.

Like Lucy's food, my computer station is out of the way and the chair can turn to face the living quarters for an additional seating, if necessary, but that's not often.  There is a ledge on my right side to hold my water bottle and phone and the convenience of an overhead light and fan. When we travel with extended stops, I just unhook it all and store it in a basket until we are stationary for awhile.  I'm getting to the point where I can hook it  up or break it down in no time at all.

Hack #3:  Adhesives. I've lumped these items into one category:  Museum Putty, Velcro and Command strips and hooks.  I have used all of these items to keep our stuff  stationary while traveling. They all work great for their intended purposes. Museum Putty can be found here, and its great for securing items to counters that you don't want to move, like a vase. However, just a twist will release the object cleanly and easily. The other items are easily found at any box store or hardware store and are used to hang art, remotes, and a myriad of other loosey-goosey items.

Hack #4: Tiny end table. We used a folding, wooden TV table as an end table next to the recliner. I couldn't live without a table or ledge at that location to hold a lamp, a glass of wine, my phone or the remote (when it's not Velcroed to the wall behind the TV). This small hack worked perfectly.

Hack #5:  Shoe bags. I need to get another one of these, but the two currently in use are proving that they are worth their weight in gold. Gee, they are awful light, so they are worth ten times their weight....One bag hangs inside my closet door to hold all my smaller personal items, like hats, belts, socks and underwear. The other was cut one pocket deep and Velcroed to the base of the bed to hold shoes.

I still need a solution for the "everyday" shoes that collect at the door of the coach.

Hack #6: My little green wall mounted metal shelf. This was always one of my favorite little organizers. It is so versatile and has been used as a knickknack shelf (facing backwards) and as a front door catch-all for keys (like it's hung in the RV bathroom). I don't care for clutter on the counter, but do like having our most-used items at arm's reach even while traveling on the road.

Hack #7Zip Lock Space Bags: Click here for a link to this product at Walmart. Living full-time, we need to travel with four season's worth of clothes and dress clothes. A storage bin under the bed holds our dress clothes so that they don't become too wrinkled. The out-of-season clothes are shrunk and stored in the Zip Lock bags and stored in the basement area. 

Right now, all of our winter clothes, including down jackets, have been "shrunk" saving us a lot of room. 

Hack #8:  Laundry Soap and Softener Dispenser Bottles. 
I used plain, ketchup-dispenser type, plastic bottles that I purchased from Dollar General. Instead of lugging my big bottles out of the vanity every time I use my little Splendide, I just grab and go with my cute counter-top solution. When filled and labeled these make laundry a breeze.


Hack #9:  Felt-covered hangers: At first, I didn't like these hangers, but I absolutely love them in Allie. They are sturdy for hanging wet clothes, they don't have the cardboard center-roll that always collapses on me, and the closet looks neat and orderly. The clothes can't fall off the hangers, thus making the rougher roads less problematic.



Hack #10:  Charging station:
I received one of the best gifts ever from friend, and fellow RV'er, Charlie. It's an AC/USB plug-in adapter, manufactured XTG Technology, that contains three regular outlets and 2 USB ports. This very helpful toy has traveled with us to hotels and on a cruise ship, but now it is tucked away behind the recliner and we use the back of the couch to hold our currently charging electronics. We would never leave home without it.


Hack #11  Baskets: 
OMG. I saved the best Hack for last. I am not a "Dancing Queen," but anyone who knows me will tell you I can claim the title, "Basket Queen."  I have them in most of my over-head cabinets. The ones with handles are quite useful, especially in the kitchen, when you need to pull out all your spices, oils, plastic-ware or coffee pods. I would be lost without them. I have plastic, wicker and wooden baskets of every shape, size and color. So, when "G" needs olive oil, I just say, "5th overhead compartment, in the clear plastic bin, next to the white handled bin." 

Being clever and organized is a necessity when living in a RV. You are in too small a space to not know where to find what you need at the drop of a hat.




Deep thought for the day:  Benjamin Franklin must have loved baskets. This quote of his is one of my favorites:  "A place for everything, and everything in its place." Go Ben!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this entry.