Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Living the good life.

Tonight, I realized that I've been quite ungrateful for the beauty, peace and serenity that is surrounding me at Croton Point. I tend to forget that among life's daily routines, "Life is Beautiful." 

Two raging thunderstorms blew through the area tonight and even with the torrential rain, we ate our dinner outside. Had we been in a house, the last thing we would have done was to eat outdoors. I enjoyed it immensely.

This past weekend, the park was overtaken by avid followers of the annual Clearwater Festival which was started by Bob and Toshi Seeger back in 1966. Click HERE here for background info on the festival and the wonderful work the Seegers and thousands of advocates have accomplished. 

As "full-timers," we were provided free tickets to the festival, but due to my healing fractured ankle, we passed on the opportunity to mingle with the environmental activists - a unique group of people. 

Pillar outside hotel main door
We actually missed a lot of the festival, because we spent most of Friday and all of Saturday in NYC with #1 son and family - the NC Crew, who treated me to a weekend in the city to ring in my big milestone birthday (60th). The royal treatment began with a room at the Marriott East Side, dinner at Tony DiNapoli's, and a "no wait" tour of the Empire State Building." The latter was a "first" for everyone and quite breathtaking. I love experiencing something for the first time alongside my grandchildren. You get to see it, not only for yourself, but through their eyes and perspective.  I was overwhelmed with joy and happiness from all aspects of my weekend bash.

Three terrific kids that I proudly and loudly call "my grandchildren."
Tomorrow we pull up stakes and head up to Port Jervis, NY for some repairs to Allie's furnace (again) and her front privacy shade. We've been here so long, that we have put down too many roots that need to be pulled out, secured and stored away. We don't want any shifting or falling during transit. 

Even though this won't be a "vacation" excursion, it will be nice to get out on the open road. I'm hoping to get a chance behind the wheel for a little bit of this trip, even if it's just out of the park.

Some random photos of life.


It didn't look so far away, until we noticed it just got bigger instead of closer.

Catching a beautiful smile while off guard.

I'd rather look at Savannah, and not the sights...

My eldest grandchild, Summer. I learn things from her all the time. Like how to be pretty, smart AND nice, all at the same tme.


My son, my hero. I learn from him all the time, as well.. I love our talks when it's just two people talking and not mother and son. I've come to respect his opinion and admire his determination.

I need to get some photos from my daughter-in-law of the two of us together and with the kids. I realized that I'm missing the "main organizer" and the "guest of honor." Two women who, without them, the night would not have happened.  Many thanks to her, my daughter-in-law, my friend.

Cars and tents, hundreds of them.
Some photos of the Clearwater Festival follow. Since this festival began in the '60's, we discovered that many are still stuck in that era. I grew up up in the 60's, but wouldn't still wear my hair and clothes the way I did then. I guess the term, "to each his own," is appropos.

Rows upon rows of tents were lined up in the large field near the campground. Some attendees sported cool-looking A-frame towables that looked quite fun, but most were just camped out in pitched tents. 

We had quite a bit of rain, so they were real die hards to withstand the elements camping so primitively. I give them a lot of credit.
One of the A-Frames

Storm clouds in the distance didn't deter anyone.


After two heavy downpours, the skies treated those who took the time to look, with a beautiful view of the setting sun. I am truly blessed to not only see the show in the sky, but appreciate it for its ethereal beauty.

Sunset after the rain.
Ethereal, is the only word that comes to mind.


Deep thought for the day:  Stop!!!! Stop often to smell the flowers. Stop to look at the sky, to experience dinner under a canopy in the rain. Stop and listen to the birds after a thunderstorm, to look for a rainbow, or pastel painted skies. They all stand to remind us that time is not always on your side. Enjoy what you've got, when you've got it, and keep on the lookout for IT when it's hidden behind a cloud. It's there....STOP....but keep looking.



3 comments:

  1. Just wrote a magnificent (to me) and deep piece about your post today; had to do it in IE and when it came time to publish it. It brought me to this page and all was lost. Having gotten past the cursing stage, I can say it was a good post, one I identify with each day as I use RVing or camping to achieve that bit of relaxation and appreciation because I do STOP to pay attention to what's around me. Thank you/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post!! I finally had a chance to read them! It was quite a weekend in NYC!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.