Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Meet Stella, the cat formally known as Taylor.

My last blog entry was dedicated to the memory of my beautiful Lucy Lu. There were many things I thought of afterward that I forgot to mention, like her gorgeous green eyes and how she loved to watch bird videos and TV. Among her favorite movies were Ice Age, Happy Feet, Toy Story and Life of Pi. She loved the Animal Planet as well as any TV commercial that included a cat. 

As I tried to convince myself that I didn’t think I could ever have a cat that I could train to be an RV warrior, I kept finding myself on animal shelter and rescue sites every night. I would tear up, looking at the sad faces of the older cats and then smile at the kittens who I knew would be adopted in a heartbeat. So, each night as I shut down my iPad, I said, “No. Nope. No way. No how. No cat.” 

For weeks, I watched You Tube videos about cats. All kinds of videos about funny cats, cat tricks, cat training, abandoned cats, shelter cats and old cats waiting to die in a cage because they are the most difficult to re-home. I knew I’d never get a kitten, because I wouldn’t want to worry about it outliving us. Lucy lived to 18, so I figured that an older cat would be perfect – already litterbox trained and in need of a warm lap, but I was not going to get a cat. 

Unwittingly (?), my next few weeks were filled with searching the NY area for cats and didn’t see any that tugged at my heart, so I began to search the FL shelters and came across a website called PetFinder. Well, if you are ever looking for a pet and could not find one on that site, I’d be shocked. 

During the holidays, PetSmart hosts a "Photo Op With Santa" fundraiser where any pet can be photographed sitting on Santa's lap. Some of the adoptable animals are photographed as well to help in their adoption process and Taylor was one of them. Fate was about to twist for Taylor once her photo was uploaded to the PetFinder site around Christmas 2019.

I had my search narrowed down to include only short-haired, adult or senior females. Not many popped up, but as I clicked on one after the other, I came across the photo of Taylor sitting on Santa’s lap. I continued looking through the short search, yet I returned several times to the photo of the cat with Santa and as I looked into her eyes, I could just imagine, if she were human, her wish. 

I inquired about Taylor and came to learn that she never had a “furever” home. She was a Manx/Tabby stray someone either trapped or turned into the Humane Society in Gadsden, Alabama in 2011 when she was about two-years old. She hadn’t been altered so the chances that she had already had a litter or two by that time are quite probable. Manx cats originated on the Isle of Mann, which is located off the coast of Scotland. The species genetically altered over hundreds of years to have no tail, or just a stub. They are shaped more like a rabbit when crouched and they tend to hop more than run. I can attest to the fact that Manx jump VERY high and run VERY fast. 

Her two other photos on Pet Finder above and below.



I’m not sure how she made it to a non-profit called, Aristocats, in Orange City, Florida, but she had been in a no-kill shelter and caged for about five years. Lucky for Taylor, in April of 2019, she found her way to the foster home of a nice woman named Jennifer. At her home, she was free to roam, but she chose to keep to herself. She didn’t care to pal around with the other cats or dogs, but if kittens arrived, she would take on a motherly role and hang out with them until, one by one, they became adopted or transferred to other foster homes. 

I give kudos to people like Jennifer who dedicate a tremendous amount of time, effort, and love to cats without homes. In addition to the everyday feeding and care of her fosters, she would bring a group of animals to PetSmart on Adoption Days and have the cages stacked. Of course, kittens went faster than older cats, so Taylor traveled back home with Jennifer each time. Jennifer told me that she had come to accept the fact that Taylor would never be adopted, and she had no problem with keeping her forever, but she would be just as happy if she could find her furever home.  

A few calls and several texts were exchanged between Jennifer and me, and plans were quickly put into place to meet. I placed a curb-side pick-up for essential items from the PetSmart where we were to make the exchange. We were all ready for a cat! Litter pan, scoop, litter, travel bag, bed, scratch boxes and a blanket filled the trunk. Jennifer snapped a photo of Taylor after loading her into the front seat of her truck. Taylor’s life was about to change - and so was ours. 

Last time in a cage! 

Jennifer said her goodbye to Taylor and I'm sure the moment was bittersweet. They had bonded, but Jennifer knew the best thing for Taylor was to go with us. 

Taylor did not like being in the carry bag at all during the ride back to the RV and once there, she was frightened of the new environment. She kept searching for a place to hide and, although the new place was strange, it did contain several great hiding spots. 

I knew from the start that the name Taylor would not survive the relationship. I had a couple of names picked out – Gracie and Rosie, but those were names I had considered for Lucy. Taylor deserved a name meant just for her. I texted a photo of her to several people, including my brother, Steve, and he asked me what I named her? I said I hadn’t decided, and he suggested, Stella. Right then and there, I knew she was a “Stella.” She is really a “Stella Bella,” which is Italian for “Beautiful Star.” 

In August, Stella made her first RV trip from Clermont, FL to Tampa, FL; which is about a two-hour ride. She didn’t like it at all. After a month, she took her next journey to New York that was close to 2,000 miles. By the last day of the four-plus-day trip, she had the routine down pat. We will be taking a three-hour trip soon to New Jersey and I hope she remembers these routines. 

Check out the photos below to see how we are all adjusting. Trust and love have sprouted and continue to grow stronger every day. Future entries about Stella adapting to life on the road will follow. 

I know cats don't have human thoughts and feelings, but I did come to realize what that cat sitting on Santa’s lap had wished for all her life – it was to be named Stella. 

Straight out of the bag into the RV for the first time.

Her favorite spot right from the start.

First day out on a leash. We like this treat.

I could have named her "Nosy Nellie!"

Not much goes on without her checking it out.

Allowing Dad to touch her! Major step. See, she's tailless.

The bond has solidified, and I think she has a preferred lap.

Just being bella

Ahhh. My favorite photo. Pure contentment.


Deep thought for the day: To be content doesn't mean you don't desire more, it means you're thankful for what you have and patient for what's to come." ~ Tony Gaskins

13 comments:

  1. “Stella Bella” I love the name .... one lucky cat, can’t wait to visit her again. Miss you and papa G!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stella is lucky to have found her forever home with you two!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would have said, "with you guys," but yes, I think we are.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful story..reads like a novel!! She is a real sweet beauty and surely deserves all the love you guys will provide. Have lots of fun together ❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. I hope we have many years together.

      Delete
  4. Vicki and George, I have tears of joy reading this as you know I am a cat lover. So beautiful to take an older cat. She's very pretty and looks content. I pray you have many years together. Love, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Roberta, she is so sweet. I still don't think she understands that we belong to her. She keeps rubbing on us to leave her scent, but I swear to her, "I haven't touched another kitty!" Haha.

      Delete
  5. I love this! This is so awesome and I love seeing Stella transform into her new life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for fostering her. Otherwise, I would never have seen her. I guess our paths were meant to cross! Keep tuned. The updates may not be frequent, but each will include Miss Stella so you can always remain in her life.

      Delete
  6. Awe... so happy for all three of you. You found each other as it was meant to be. Can't wait to meet her. Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog was well worth waiting for. Having met Stella, my instincts tell me a perfect fit has been established between you guys and Stella Bella. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised at how your relationship will develop as the bonding grows and matures. Good luck and have fun. There's a new, enhanced life in store for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello dear human known as Vicki: I'm Charlie Rossi's friend from the River House where I think you told you once lived. We have exchanged a couple of emails about cats and I think I sent you one of my Ziggy who looks like Stella except for a splash of white fur on the left side of his face - otherwise, a definite tabby with tabby markings and, of course, a tail on this guy. What a wonderful story. I happen to be a writer/editor by profession and you are definitely a good writer!!! Thumbs up on that. I wish you all the luck and happiness with Stella Bella (my name is Stella, just Stella although I have heard Stella Bella way back, as well as Stella By Starlight after the musical theme to The Uninvited, circa 1940s with Ray Milland). I know you will give her the greatest home and will love and protect her for the rest of her life. All the best to you and yours and have a wonderful summer. Maybe I'll see you some time when I visit Charlie. Stella the human

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.