Monday, April 13, 2020

LIFE: racing past and then suddenly in slow motion

I've caught up with our comings and goings up until New Year's Day. I never took the time to make any resolutions or set goals for myself as I usually do every year. I think the fact that I was alive and well were enough.

Things began to slowly improve in January and then mid-February found George with a nasty head cold. Since being in Florida, we've missed celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and then Valentin'es Day flew out the window.

February found members of our New York RV group staying at Elite Resorts and good friend, Charlie, at Thousand Trails down the road. We didn't get to do too many things together due to my foot and George's illness, but the few times we did, food was usually involved and we always had fun.

Dinner out with some of the Hudson Islanders, sans George.
Starting on the left side and up like a “u” we are:
Walt and Fran, me and Charlie, Tony and Doreen and Kathy and Ray.
I was continuing the slow recuperation from my bunion surgery and looking forward to each accomplishment along the way. I went into a boot with crutches, then bearing weight on the boot and crutches, then to a cane, and finally into an orthopedic sneaker and crutch.

I rushed myself along the road to recovery (what's new) and put the cane in a corner way too soon. I have taken it back out and use it anytime I need to walk more than a few dozen feet. The foot is still swollen and painful. My surgeon says June should be the month that will show less swelling and more progress. Keeping it elevated and wearing a compression sock helps quite a bit. As we creep closer to June, we shall see how I progress.

A deadly wolf in sheep's clothing.
The middle of March found the world faced with an unimaginable health crisis. COVID-19. This acronym was soon to become a household word, and life, as we knew it, was a thing of the past. Even when the diabolical virus' threat is reduced, I don't believe we will ever live our lives the same. We will all be changed in ways yet to be determined. Some changes will be for the better and some will be for the worse, but I choose to face this enemy steeled with faith and hope.

Finally, a holiday meal where
I wasn't in the hospital!

A perfect break in he global crisis found us quietly celebrating Easter with a home-cooked dinner. Here we had many friends around, food to eat, but we all ate separately.  

My next blog will begin my documentation of what we are doing, how we are doing things differently and why I make it a conscience choice every day to find joy in little things.


Deep thought for the day:  Be sure to stop and look when you smell the roses. Don't run by too fast. Experiencing them using both senses envelops you with their true magnificence. Life is kinda that way too.














2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the update you provided. Being there, again, brings back wonderful memories muted though they were with concern for your recuperating progress. I look forward to how our lives will change as seen through your usually optimistic eyes. In the meantime take all necessary precautions necessary to be safe and continue on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you may removed the repetitive “necessary”.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.