Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Bah Ha-Bah, ME - my favorite thus far



The beautiful Penobscot Narrows Bridge is a long, cable-style bridge that spans the Penobscot River. It was majestic and powerful, yet beautiful and it led us towards our campground, Mt. Dessert Narrows, which was located right on the coast of Bar Harbor. It was a short three-night stay that we wished could have been a whole week.


The Penobscot River

As the sun set, a golden hue glinted off the trees making them appear as if autumn had begun early.

So much prettier in person; a deep orange-red sunset.

We drove into Bar Harbor for the day and took a 1/2 hour trolley tour around the quaint town. Our driver's name was, Jim Galvine, and interestingly, he was a snow bird like us, but on a much grander scale. Jim owned a home and had spent many years in Bar Harbor, which afforded us his personal and historical knowledge of the area and he also owned  a winter home in Key West, FL. Since we were two of just four on the bus we chatted about Key West since we will be traveling there with friends for a week in March next year. He gave me his business card and told us to call him so we could get together for a glass of beer at his favorite bar in Key West. I'm keeping that card in a safe place so I can take him up on that offer. I am sure our paths will cross again, because he drives a trolley tour bus also while wintering in the Keys. What a pleasant twist of fate, or as Charlie would say, "What are the chances?"
The Trenton Bridge Lobster Shack for dinner! Yes, for your doubters, George ate here.

So quaint and so immaculate. George was definitely "out of his box" eating in another shack.

I ate "Larry," #34. George had a Lobster Roll - it could have been parts of any lobster, even  Gerry, #13.

We headed out to Acadia National Park the next day and I found out that I was old enough to purchase a Lifetime National Park Membership. It was an exciting thing...until I thought about it a bit more.

The park was beautiful and even on a cloudy day the vistas were endless and breathtaking. I snapped so many photos, but after uploading them, I realized once more, that a photo does no justice to the "in-person" experience.

At Acadia National Park - always another tourist happy to snap a photo for you.







Each photo, whether taken facing north, south, east or west, gave you a different view. We were only able to do a little bit of hiking at this State Park. My long, steep hiking days are over, however, what we DID get to do afforded us an experience to remember. Acadia, the northern-most National Park is a pristine piece of America jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean and worth the visit. I would return here in the future to once more enjoy the taste of the famous popovers that are served at the Jordan Pond House Restaurant. I missed out on their "specialty," Popovers and Prosecco" on the patio.

Our trip to Oregon in 2016 and now Bar Harbor in 2019 has earned Lucy the rights to brag that her tail has been far west to view the Pacific and as far northeast into Maine to the Atlantic. She's hit some major milestones (and Veterinarian Hospitals) in her RV career. She is the quintessential RV cat. 
Our last beautiful sunset on a walk after dinner.

I'll finish up Maine in my next blog. It will probably mention "lobster."



Deep thought for the day:  It doesn't matter if we drive east, west, north or south...when the day comes to an end, we three are happy to be in the place we happily call "home." ~ vc



1 comment:

  1. Your blog greeted me as I stopped for an overnight in Henniker, NH. I'm on my way to Belfast to camp overlooking Penobscot Bay into which your Penobscot River flows. Your views are magnificent and your readers should know that traveling anywhere in the Northeast is a treasure to behold. This land of ours is awesome and the places you've visited highlight it all. See you soon in CPP.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.