Thursday, August 23, 2018

Exploring Upstate New York

When I opened my blog to start this entry, I realized how lazy I had become. Either that, or I hadn't been doing anything worthy of documenting. However, every day should be treated as it's special, so I'll give a quick synopsis of what's been going on since our Valentine's Day bash. 

A lot of time was spent in the pool, a trip out to Colorado for a week to babysit, a couple of trips to see “The Mouse” with friend, Amanda, a couple of lunch dates with friend, Tricia and too many doctor and vet appointments filled most of my days.  

Friends Kristin and Rob flew down to FL a few times and during one of their trips the subject came up that I liked to make cards. Then, almost out of nowhere, Kristin "commissioned" me to make Thank You cards for her daughter's upcoming bridal shower. I hadn't made any cards in a long time and all of my supplies were up north, but the thought of tapping into my creative side sparked an interest, so I agreed with eager anticipation. 

I didn't realize how much I had missed crafting and this project catapulted me into creative heaven. A few trips to the craft store had me well-supplied and on the "production line." It felt good. It also helped to fill the days while George worked lots of hours at Lowe’s. His little part-time hobby has started to resemble a full-time job.  

Here is a sampling of the cards I've made:

Rainy days seem to have me making sympathy cards.

We arrived in NY the beginning of June and had plans to take a few weeks to explore some of upstate NY's treasures, including Niagara Falls, the beautiful Finger Lakes Region, Letchworth State Park and Lake George. 

I’ve lived all of my life in NYS and it dawned on me that in my 60+ years, I have traveled so little within the “Empire State.” While I have a lot of negative feelings towards NY – in particular, the taxes and Governor Andrew Cuomo, I had visited some very beautiful places over the years and wanted to visit and re-visit some this summer.


Croton Point Park is our NY home base, and it has changed very little since our last visit. It is still in desperate need of some TLC and better management. It is a beautiful location, situated on a peninsula that juts out into the majestic Hudson River and depending upon the time of year, you can view owls, eagles, red-tailed hawks and woodpeckers, along with a multitude of song birds, such as warblers, cardinals, robins, wrens and sparrows. The park is also host to coyotes, fox, rabbits, deer, squirrels and a group of feral cats of which I find myself getting too attached.

We are in site 47, which has us nestled beneath two pine trees. After the blasting sun in Florida, the shade was a welcome respite. Although only 30 amps and low water pressure, we were enjoying our little piece of the park to the fullest. As time passed, pine needles and dripping sap made a mess of the roof of the RV and ground. We have plans to move to a different site, but can't do so until September 1st.

The 2018 vacation began on August 1st when we hooked up in the parking lot on a day threatening heavy rains and storms. We headed out for Stop #1 of five: Cayuga State Park in Seneca Falls.

The photo speaks for itself......We're the little Blue Dot.

Stop #1, - Two nights at Cayuga Lake State Park, in Seneca Falls. It was a lovely park and campground that provided us with water, electric, nice showers and was conveniently located at the top of Seneca Lake, the longest of the Finger Lakes. It’s also smack dab in the center of wine country – my favorite type of country.



Tents
Cabins

Little Miss parked at the end of the road

Dumpsters - Cayuga...vs..



Croton Point Park Dumpsters.....


Lake Seneca Welcome Center

Lake Seneca-very cloudy day, but a welcome break from the rain.

We still haven't mastered "The Selfie."

Very common site in our travels, but I never saw these in such perfect bloom before.

Welcome Center lunch - where you can even buy a glass of local wine!

Lunch along the lake.

One of the best photos I took on the trip...Driver's Ed car...must have been after the "Parking" instruction.

We were able to visit three vineyards while in the area:  Ventosa, Fox Run and 3 Brothers Winery. I stocked up with at least a bottle or two from each one. I can't wait to sort out all the wines and my tasting notes.

Ventosa Vineyard-wish they gave you the glass....

3 Brothers Winery


To be continued...with Stop #2, Niagara Falls.


Deep thought for the day:  Find JOY in the little things. I find I get too caught up on the trivial things. We all need to focus on the PRESENT.....the actual gift that is TODAY. ~vc


1 comment:

  1. Loved the post and it's so good to see you back into the swing of things (travels + crafts). It was a good job and well done. Reading from your web page (vs. the email), I scrolled down into your last post and got a very pleasant reminder of your Valentine's Day Bash last February. In retrospect, that was a major undertaking. I'll see you soon at CPP before we part company again; you to the Catskills, me to Maine.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.