Monday, November 14, 2016

Floridahhh

We pulled up our jacks and drove out of chilly New York on Thursday morning, November 10th. Our "mini-caravan" consisted of me, driving my Sentra, following close behind George and Lucy in "Little Miss." This was our first time going separately and we both had mixed feelings about the pros and cons of solitary travel.

As the main conversationalist of our trio, I caught myself commenting about road signs, talking to myself about the drivers and the scenery and I BLASTED my Sirius XM radio turned to a Pop station. I sang along so loud that I never heard my navigation system's audio directions. I sang along to Ariana Grande, Alesia Cara, Maroon 5 and Sia, to name just a few. My new favorite song is the one by Alisia Cara, "Scars to Your Beautiful." What a powerful song.

George would never admit that he missed me, my singing, my talking or my navigational assistance, but I know he did. We called each other often and kept up with the plans for pit stops or for one of those,  "stretch the legs" breaks. 

I must pat myself on the back, because I managed to drive the over 1,100 miles, most of which was on I-95, without panicking too much. In my defense, no one likes driving through the cities of Trenton, Baltimore, DC, Jacksonville or Orlando either.

During my ride, I took the time to notice the little things and smile often because that's just the way my mind wanders. 

Below is a great imagery of a "woman's mind" and exactly how my mind is usually churning with thoughts of people, places, seasons and feelings.

A Woman's Mind





While driving through New Jersey, there is a Service Plaza called "Thomas Edison Service Area." My thoughts, similar to the little balls in the gif above were as follows:
  • Humm, Thomas Edison.
  • His name is actually, Thomas Alva Edison.
  • I know that because my father went to Edison High School in Mt. Vernon and always said Thomas Alva......
  • I lived in Mt. Vernon.
  • I'm in New Jersey.
  • I remember driving in the car with my parents to visit my mom's family in Linden, NJ.
  •  I wish the tractor-trailer behind me would either pass me or back off.
  • We spent summers in Seaside Heights, NJ.
  • My step-mother is moving from New Jersey to New York.
  • Gee, I just left New York and I'm already in New Jersey.
  • My grandmother was born in Boonton, NJ.
  • I've got a lot more miles to go.
  • Bruce Springstein was born in New Jersey.
  • Humm. I'm still in Jersey.

Clara Barton, Founder of the Red Cross
I could have gone on and on, but then I came to the Clara Barton Rest Area and remembered that she was a nurse.

This is no lie. This is how my mind works.

We were able to utilize the parking lots of three Walmarts on our trip south. The first was in Maryland, the second was in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina and the last night was spent in Georgia. Besides the cost for food, gas and tolls, the trip only cost us $10, which was the fee to dump our grey tank. We even got a free fill up of potable water at a North Carolina Pilot Service Station.  Life is good.

On Sunday afternoon, we arrived safe and sound at 233. The long drive was over and the work to get all settled began first thing Monday morning. Five loads of laundry (poor Lucy had "the sick" on our bed), food shopping, cooking, weeding, unpacking, re-packing and sitting in my rocking chair filled the long, damp day.

Tonight, I'm waiting for the last load to dry while watching "The Voice." I'm enjoying the music and trying hard not to sing along - for George's sake.

Deep thought for the day:   I have an almost complete disregard of precedent and a faith in the possibility of something better. It irritates me to be told how things always have been done .... I defy the tyranny of precedent. I cannot afford the luxury of a closed mind. I go for anything new that might improve the past. ~ Clara Barton (1821-1912)
I may sometimes be willing to teach for nothing, but if paid at all, I shall never do a man's work for less than a man's pay. Clara Barton
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/clarabarto276762.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this entry.