Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

The "Eagle," aka Allie, landed safe and sound at Raleigh State Fairgrounds on Friday afternoon. The place was packed with trailers and RVs for a huge horse show that was taking place on the grounds. The campground for the fairgrounds is located behind the horse stables, so it was an ideal spot for all the empty trailers, contestants and fans to camp out for the week-long event. Despite the crowd, it was quiet, albeit a bit smelly in some locations - like the three big roll-off containers full of horse poop (future manure). I assume backhoes must have been responsible for the pick-up and deposits of the unpleasantries to the dumpsters.
Looking out one window at the horse trailers lined up across from us.

Looking outside the right side.
Three dumpsters in a row (hard to see last one) filled to the top!
On Saturday, "G" and I took the kids to see Disney's newest animated feature, "Jungle Book," in 3D. It was an awesome movie that grownups couldn't help but be fascinated and amazed by the advanced animation necessary to bring all the animals of the jungle to life. The movie was followed by dinner at Applebee's, then back home for showers and a few games of chess. These kids amaze me.

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Me and the NC girls.

Papa G and Cooper, the Mozzarella Stick King

Nina, presenting mommy with her breakfast in bed. 
Mother's Day began with a Face Time with the three grand kids in Colorado, where I was so impressed with their gift for mommy - a breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, strawberries and coffee, prepared by Nina and served to mom in bed by all three smiling faces. That had to be one of the best gifts my daughter-in-law has ever received. Kitchen was even cleaned up as part of the present, and I saw the final results and can attest to a bright and sparkling kitchen.


Love....captured in a photo.




L to R: Me, Joan, GiGi and Moo Moo (Ronnie)
The afternoon was spent with the other half of my special loves. We enjoyed a relaxing day at Ronnie's and Frank's (aka Moo Moo's and Pop Pop's) house in the company of GiGi (the kids maternal Great Grandmother). There were dogs galore, good conversation and fabulous food. The kids spent most of the day in the pool and our seats on the enclosed back patio afforded us a front row seat to their antics and awesome swimming capabilities. 

I enjoyed a nice conversation with Gigi about the assisted living facility she lives in. God Bless her, at almost 90, she was telling be about all the "old people" who live there. I got a kick out of her referring to people her age and younger, as old. I feel the same way a lot of times, finding it hard to believe someone is my age when I assumed they were older. I have to believe it's either my mirror or my mind that is fooling me. Since GiGi looks amazing, I have to think it just might be our minds. 

A big thank-you to Ronnie and Frank for always opening your home and hearts to G and I. How fortunate for us to like and enjoy each other's company so much. 

The only photo I was able to get of me with my pride and joy - my son, my friend.

Savannah!

Cooper and Summer

The Three Musketeers - their energy astounds me.

As the day drew to a close, I began to feel ill and discovered that my insulin pump and Continuous Glucose Monitor were not working properly. Alarms that should have alerted me to extremely high glucose levels failed to do so. Once back in Allie and feeling worse, it was decided (and insisted by "G") that a trip to Duke-Raleigh Hospital's ER was in order. So, another holiday was spent in a hospital getting myself back to feeling better and regulated. Darn those electronics!!!! Can't live with them and can't survive without them.....

Today finds me exhausted, but better. Poor "G" needs to catch upon his sleep too, so I'm sure there will be an afternoon "cat" nap on tap for us both. Life is good when you can take an afternoon nap. 

Deep thought for the day:  "Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly. Birds fly over the rainbow, why, oh why can't I."  ~ Arlen and Harburg 

The serenity of a bird's life: Soaring high, swooping low, constant fluid motion, beauty and song. Similar to my life, I guess. with the highs and lows. Gotta love it, no matter what challenges you face - face them head on and then soar. ~ vc

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a very well written documentation of a very busy and full agenda. Get your rest keeps popping up in my mind and ready yourself for such relaxation when you eventually arrive at CPP. I will show you how it's done!! See you soon.
    Chas

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.