Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Hola, Carlsbad, NM

Sunday WE drove to Carlsbad, via Roswell, NM, which was made famous by THE EVENT that took place in Area 54 - the great UFO cover up or controversy, depending upon your beliefs. Due to pouring rain and a desire to just "Get where we're going," we drove past the international UFO Museum. Reviews were rather weird. People either loved it or hated it and I didn't feel like being a tie breaker.

A totally unflattering photo is proof that I actually did, for about 30+ miles, wrangle a way into the driver's seat. As I've mentioned many times before, the roads we have been traveling on out west have been straight and less traveled. "G" finally gave in and allowed me the opportunity I've been waiting for - being in control of the wheel. I think I did very well, despite being told to slow down, speed up, move to the left or move to the right - everything but "stand up, sit down and fight, fight fight." 

We ended up at the Carlsbad KOA and were happy to descend upon civilization and a terrific campground. Sites are level, very spacious and we are afforded wide-open level land, nice picnic table and a fire pit. All sites are pull-throughout and 50 amp. This place too, has a restaurant that delivers right to your site. I had dinner already planned, but perhaps after our day trip to the Caverns we shall take advantage of that amenity.

A quick stop at a Walmart mid-way between Artesia and Carlsbad allowed us to stock up for the next couple of days. Lucy has a month's supply of canned food, so all is right with her world. She has apparently been the first to find a friend. A long-eared rabbit was munching on something under the picnic table and she sat on the back of the couch watching the show. 

It made me think of what a lucky cat she is to have found her way to me and be afforded the best life a cat could dream of having. Her tail has been in more states than most yet, she is always home, among her familiar surroundings. Having a mommy and daddy who love and spoil her, helps a bit too.

Our first stop on Monday took us to The Living Dessert Zoo and Gardens. For the most part, we enjoyed a stroll along the grounds seeing and learning about the flora indigenous to the area, like Fairy Wand (my favorite - because it reminded me of Savannah), Three-Leaf Sumac, Yucca, Mesquite, and fringed sagebrush. 
A Javelina

What I dislike most about zoos are the small cages that contain only one animal. They seem so lonely, and the animals we saw actually appeared to be looking for human contact. Two, in particular tore at my heart, a mountain lion cub that paced back and forth, leaning into the fence and a Javelina that kept trying to push his snout through the wire as if he were trying to get a kiss. 


From that stop, we grabbed a bite for lunch and then headed for our second National Park, Carlsbad Caverns. I was sure to bring my NP passport and obtained my official "Park and Date" stamped in my book.

The photos included in this blog can never truly do justice to the magnificent grandeur of the caves. We toured "The Big Room," which was located 754 feet below ground and immediately, I felt like I entered a holy place. There were several references to religion along the way, such as "The Top of the Cross," and "Angels Grotto." Although, as we continued the tour, I saw stalagmites and stalagmites that caused my imagination to run wild. I saw a Mutant Ninja Turtle, three chess pieces, Snagglepuss and a Christmas tree, to name a few."G" took dozens of photos, but the lighting created a blue glare in many of them. 
Some of the formations appeared as lace curtains.

This one reminded me of the Three chess pieces.


At closing time, visitors are allowed to wait in an outdoor amphitheater until dusk, when the possibility of a night flight of the Brazilian Free Tail Bats could take place. The weather the previous night caused the bats to remain inside, so I had a good feeling that these babies might be hungry. We waited quite awhile and almost left when the spectacle began. It was a silent symphony that could only be viewed to be believed. Thousands of bats, about the size of your hand, flew out of the cave and spiraled up and up, and then flew off in their nocturnal search for food. A few circled low and close to our heads, but the scene playing out before our eyes only took your breath away. It was a very moving and emotional experience for me....I will not include "G's" reaction or response in this entry. Suffice it to say that it was a solo moment of awe and beauty, and one I will never forget. 
We were not allowed to photograph the flight, but I found this on the Internet.

I am so grateful that we ended our time in New Mexico on such a high note. I would highly recommend a visit to Carlsbad Caverns National Park should any reader be in the vicinity.

Deep thought for the day:  How can a hole in the ground be wholly holy? Holy cow!



1 comment:

  1. I love that I see you driving!!! The kids love the post cards!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this entry.